this dish was inspired by one of the only places to get a decent burrito in albany, ny. Bomber’s. they serve vegetarian BBQ fries which come with copious amounts of cheese. this is my veganized version. it takes time to make, but is super simple and worth every minute.
**make the bbq sauce and the fries simultaneously to save time**
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 red onion
1 tbsp oil
2/3 cup beer
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 lemon, juiced
1 cup ketchup
1 tbsp hot sauce
1. in a skillet over low/medium heat, combine garlic, oil and onion. allow to cook 5 minutes
2. add all other ingredients to the skillet and mix well.
3. allow to gently simmer over medium heat 30-35 minutes
1. preheat oven to 400
2. slice potatoes into fries.
3. drizzle oil onto a cookie sheet. using a clean hand, spread oil in a thin, even layer.
4. place fries on top. drizzle lightly with oil. add salt
5. cook 40-45 minutes, or until crispy, flipping every 15 minutes.
1 brick super firm tofu, drained and cubed
1. marinate tofu in BBQ sauce for 30 - 60 minutes.
2. toss fries, tofu and excess sauce in a large baking dish
3. cook on 400 until heated, about 15 minutes.
37 notes, July 5, 2011